Brisket and Salmon in Texas

I’m back in Texas! And Sarah’s living here for the first time. She had only visited, previously. I’ve already taken her to a local BBQ place that was great, she tried the brisket as did I. Her standards are set high! I’m pretty confident about how this first Texas brisket will turn out though so I’m not worried 😉 I picked up a 15.65 lbs brisket, $2.98 per pound from Sam’s.…

Read more »

Ten Dimensions of Cyber Threat

Dr. Kamal Jabbour and Dr. Erich Devendorf have characterized the cyber threat the DoD faces. They describe threats as having these ten characteristics:

  • Highly educated on the science of information assurance
  • Doctrinally trained on the art of cyber warfare
  • Adequately resourced in talent, time, and treasure
  • Thoroughly briefed on target missions and systems
  • Mathematically specialized in architectural properties
  • Superiorly skilled in byzantine failure analysis
  • Intricately involved in protocol specification and analysis
  • Critically embedded in the supply chain
  • Strategically postured in command and control
  • Conveniently situated for access and persistence

The paper uses these points to demonstrate how an adversary thinks about attacking our systems. However, I see a lot of ways in which these should coerce the DoD to make serious changes in how we build and maintain our cyber professional workforce.

Read more »

Switching to My Own Cloud

Google Music is disappearing - it’s time to find a new way to host music in the cloud. Google wants folks to move to YouTube Music as their music locker, but I’m tired of being jerked around.

To get away from Google Music I needed the following capabilities:

  • Cloud-based method of storing music
  • Browser-based method for listening to that music
  • Android app for listening to music, with method for downloading some music to device storage
Judge Judy saying 'next', with a confused look on her face.

Nextcloud hosted on Dreamhost with Dreamobjects is the solution I chose. This post will talk about how I settled on this, and how I made it work well.

Read more »

Reflections on Teaching Intro to Programming

Over the last semester I had the pleasure of teaching programming as an adjunct professor at a local major university. I sought out this opportunity because I genuinely enjoy teaching, I knew I’d have a little extra time on my hands, and I think it’s valuable to my current assignment to be in the community putting a face to the Air Force. I cold-called the computer science department and asked around just prior to the fall semester, and they were interested in bringing me on for the spring semester. More than that - they wanted someone to turn their existing Intro to Programming (in Python) course into an Internet-based course. Python is my jam, so this sounded good.

Python code on a computer screen, from

Python lookin sharp.

I learned a lot while teaching this class: about teaching, about students, about learning Python, and about learning programming in-general. I wanted to put my thoughts down because they’ve been bubbling around in my head. I think this would be a great talk topic for some nerd conference too, so it makes sense to take the notes while they’re fresh.

Read more »

Alfa AC1200 WiFi in Debian

I recently built a new desktop computer, and wanted a WiFi adapter that worked well for all kinds of Linux-y things… I’m not normally able to plug the desktop in over Ethernet, so WiFi is a simple choice. After my first purchase on Amazon got delayed and screwed up, I went with the USB Alfa Network AC1200 - full model number AWUS036ACH. This is reviewed pretty well, and folks say the drivers are capable of all kinds of things.…

Read more »

Late Lamb

Posted on

I was ready for lamb at Easter, but we’re a couple days past that now. It really snuck up on me, so the lamb was still frozen day-of. Well, we’ll make it today. I’m using a recipe similar to last time (recipe here), because after writing that post I realized the smoked lamb was really fantastic. Maybe it just needed some time in the fridge, but it was really fantastic later.…

Read more »

Change Leads to Grieving

I’m listening to a webinar Air University is putting on called “Managing Traumatic Transitions” with Dr. Allen. She is actually talking about managing any type of transition, because all kinds of transition are traumatic to people.

She asked:

How many of us consider how individuals will grieve when we introduce change?

It’s clear that some people do better with change than other people. Any type of change. But grieving?

A man in a business suit clearly disappointed about something.  Source:

Other sources agree, ‘change at work can trigger loss and grief’

Read more »

One-File Tools

Many of us use computers that are locked-down by some corporate policy. The restrictions prevent you from downloading software, or running anything that’s not pre-approved. Most of us have used workarounds of some type - Excel spreadsheets created by that one guy in the office, Word documents with macros, Sharepoint sites, maybe even the occasional Powershell script…

One-File Tools are open-source self-contained one-file utilities implemented as a webpage. These are easily shared, easily used, their saved versions may contain your user data. They don’t require an Internet connection.

Read more »

Quarantine Brisket

Well - the world is on lockdown - it’s COVID-19 time. We don’t have any toilet paper at the store, but there’s plenty of meat. Don’t ask me why there’s such a disparity - I guess folks are stocking up on other things…

The shelves at Broulim's - a few bags of all purpose flour remain, and a ton of large 25 lb bags remain on the bottom shelf.

Not much left…

Read more »